Belief Changes or Changes in the Cult
The cult has undergone many changes:
- They used to have poor workers and became called "Tramp Preachers". Now the workers go about in suits and ties and drive nice cars.
- People were only considered saved before if they sold everything and gave it to William Irvine. Now people may be considered saved if they "profess" in a meeting.
- William Irvine used to have control over all the workers. Now overseers have taken over the operation and booted William Irvine out.
- It used to be that William Irvine was the wealthy one and all the workers were poor. After he started "overseers", they became powerful, wealthy and booted him out. Many overseers were more popular than him.
- After the overseers gained control, they had power. Now overseers are so lame in many areas that popular workers have gained power have gathered money for themselves which emboldens them.
- Workers were forbidden to have bank accounts. Now many workers have bank accounts to protect themselves in case they are fired.
- William Irvine and many other workers used to openly berate Christians in their meetings. Now, for the most part, workers avoid talking about other denominations because of fear of offending some and not being able to talk their way out of it.
- William Irvine used to be a "fundamentalist" despite twisted interpretations of the scripture. Now a lot of new age theology is mixed in with the workers preaching. The most popular new age thinker I can remember is Doyle Smith. They talk about things being "positive" or "negative" which based on new age relativism.
- Gospel meetings in public places used to be the norm. After William Irvine changed his theology, he allowed Sunday Morning meetings for the "friends of the workers" to encourage people who wanted to financially support him.
Of everyplace we had lived so far (and since) none has been as liberal as Oregon.
When we originally moved back, I was ostracized by the local kids for a while because---they all had stereos and I did not. My family wasn't about to have a stereo in their home--and the professing children all thought that I was a hopeless loser because I didn't have one (and I knew that I wouldn't be getting one).
They also all played sports and watched sports and were very proud of those among the flock who were good at sports. I had always longed to play--and was never allowed.
so at that time--they seemed worldly to me. Of course these things are acceptable most places now.
so in the 1970s they were quite worldly compared to some of the other areas I had been in. ckirkham - a 2x2
Above Jesus Christ
Jesus not God
Long Hair & Buns
Workers are apostles
Meetings in Home
They are the Only Way
No Church Buildings
The Right Spirit
No Jewelery Rule
No Pants Rule
Must Go to Meetings
Must be 2x2
Bread and fruit of vine
Give Your Testimony
Salvation by Workers
Workers Shouldn't Work
Workers Send to Hell
Sunday AM Meetings
Way Perfect, people not
Workers not working
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. - Jesus Christ speaking to Saul, see Act 26:18, see Salvation through Jesus Christ.|